Monday, October 5, 2009

how much do books help?

Just read another great book review by Hanlie at Fertilehealthy. Started me thinking about the role books have played in my fitness journey. Seems the book that has had the most influence to this point, is a book I read seven years ago. The South Beach Diet by Dr. Arthur Agatston. While I don't agree with restricting fruits and vegetables (I've never seen anyone blame extra weigh on eating too many strawberries or grapes or bananas, have you?), I think Agatston's focus on reducing or eliminating saturated fats and increasing fiber are valuable guidelines to eating a healthier diet. When I decided to follow the South Beach diet plan, it was after reading his rationale. One thing this diet did was to assist in developing the habit of preparing the majority of our food from fresh whole foods.

Another book that was helpful believe it or not, was Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. Mostly what I've gained from reading this book is to greatly reduce intake of animal fat (I don't eat red meat at all - only fish, chicken & turkey), and the addictiveness of cheese. When actively losing weight, I rarely used cheese -- an extreme change from my prior diet of utilizing most foods as cheese delivery tools. Now that I'm maintaining my weight, I like using fat free feta and the super good aged parmesan cheese. Occaisionally, I use reduced fat or nonfat cheddar on black bean tostados but nowhere close to the amounts I used to use.

Is there a book or are there books that have played a role in helping you to succeed in your weight loss, getting fit journey?

~♥~

5 comments:

Levi said...

You don't really want me to list them here do you?
That list is huge.

I guess I could narrow it down to Drinking: A Love Story because of how it changed my attitude toward addiction and enabled me to see that I was a food addict.

Debbie said...

Cheese delivery tools - I love that.

Since I became a vegetarian a few years ago, the book that helped me has The Vegetarian's Sports Nutrition Guide. Before that it was the Sports Nutrition Guidebook. I have always wanted just the straight facts, and especially when I went veg, wanted to make sure I was getting what my body needed.

Rich said...

Although I ultimately went a different route to lose weight, Body for Life, and The Abs Diet were both instrumental in me changing my frame of mind when came to losing weight and getting fit. For a long time, I felt that my time was long gone. These two books motivated me to get up off the couch. Now that I have changed my lifestyle, I am looking more into the nutritional aspect and I am reading The Zone Diet.

Lee said...

POD - Man, I agree with you about "Drinking: A Love Story" -- really opened my eyes to the relationship I have developed w/food.

Cyclediva - thanks for the tips on those books. I like thinking of myself as an athlete now. Will check out The Vegetarian's Sports Nutrition Guide.

Rich - books definitely have made me change some ideas about how I eat but I credit weight loss/health bloggers for motivating me to get serious about exercise & building some muscle. I'll like the sound of the title "Body for Life."

Hanlie said...

I also have so many... and I revisit them often.