Friday, April 10, 2009

Revving up a sluggish metabolism Part II

I love how Tena at Shrink to Fit signs off her post with a reminder to drink your water. Water, it seems, plays a role in fostering a healthy metabolism.
Water- Drink your water! It helps the body flush out excess sodium and toxins. A German study showed that drinking water helped boost the metabolism by 30 percent. Drinking enough water to stay well hydrated also helps to keep you from mistaking thirst for hunger, and can prevent unnecessary calorie consumption and binging.
In the comments to the first post about dealing with a sluggish metabolism, POD provided a link to a post by Mark Salinas about foods that accelerate the metabolism. Good info -- check it out. Any of these foods surprise you?

Don't forget to drink your water!

~~

4 comments:

Jody - Fit at 51 said...

Eating well helps the bod as they say!!! But as you mentioned in your last post, I think, and of course I would be the one to mention this because I am in love with weights (a bit biased, I must say about me! HA!), you can actually raise your BMR (how many calories you burn at rest) by exchanging fat for muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. It may not be as many as they used to say but improving your BMR is a good thing!

AND, yes, drink your water! Many people do think they are hungry when they are really just thirsty!

I know Lee, I am so into weights!!! Sorry! But it really does help! I learned that from personal experience.

Lee said...

Jody, I believe you! You are living proof! I just checked out "Strong Women Stay Young" by Miriam Nelson, Ph.D. Seems eating nutritious whole foods,strength training and finding a fun, enjoyable way to get some cardio is the ticket for a healthy, strong, good looking bod.

I started strength training (pretty small scale) just recently after figuring out I was at a plateau and I can see the results already. I did this following your suggestion and Darya's.

Shrink to Fit said...

Great post! I do lurv the water! Thanks, btw, for mentioning moi! :) Water keeps the body happy! I've been MIA lately, but will try to catch up with everyone this weekend!

I love all this handy info you've been sharing. Very helpful!! I have a burned out thyroid, too. Even with my meds, I have to work extra hard or I will not lose. I need to seriously try weights.

Jody - Fit at 51 said...

I am so glad the weights are helping! Although we all know food is very important too. Man, I wish weights could do it all.. HA!

I am going to check out that book you mentioned! Her words are straight on!