Thursday, August 6, 2009

I believe in miracles

A while back, Cranky Fitness had an intriguing post about whether or not there are any magic beans out there to take in the form of supplements. I have to admit, this is one area where I engage in some magical thinking.

Here are the magic beans I take every day:
  • Vitamin D3
  • Omega 3 Fish Oil
  • CoQ10
  • Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate
Do you believe in miracles?



~~

13 comments:

Levi said...

I take magic beans every day. I take CoQ, Resveratrol, Indole 3 Carbinol, (all for anti-cancer properties). Omega 3. Among about 16 other items.
I believe in some miracles. ;-)

Camevil said...

D3, B100 w/folic acid and glu/con. Make Camevil strong. *rawr*

Fat[free]Me said...

I take a multivitamin/mineral supplement, extra Vit C and Omega 369. I have some glucosamine, but keep forgetting that one!

Shrink to Fit said...

I was just thinking about this yesterday. How strange that you wrote about it today ;)

I am not very good at taking vitamins every day but I want to be better. Maybe if I think of them as "magic" it will make me take them, lol.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I'm feeling so inadequate. I take a multivitamin and an extra biotin.
I've been looking into the resveratrol. I hope that counts. :)

(P.S. Northern CA not in the travel plans. San Francisco is as far as I'm going this time out. Maybe when I become a very rich author, I can do the entire West Coast.*g*)

Lee said...

POD - I also take a Grapeseed & resveratrol capsule but not everyday.

Camevil - *rawr*

Fat[free]Me - oh, yeah, I also take Vit C. I like the orange flavored chewable ones from Trader Joes even though they have sugar in them.

Tena - maybe thinking of your vitamins as giving you some *rawr* Camevil-style would help too.

Cammy - What's the deal w/extra biotin? Would you recommned it?

San Francisco & Sacramento are what I meant by nor cal. I go to both cities often. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Jody - Fit at 51 said...

I am so laughing at that video!

I probably would take a couple things if I had the money but I don't. I only do a multi & calcium/magnesium right now. I try to eat well & hope for the best. I have taken Glucosamine & Chondroitin in the past when needed. I also took a lot of other things when I was younger & had more money BUT I find that I am fine now without them...

I have read & heard great things about CoQ10 for years!

Patty said...

I don't take any, but I did in the past. Most of them upset my stonach. Now I try to get as much nutrition from my food as I can, but it's not easy. The one I always seem to come up short on is calcium...especially since you won't let me have cheese anymore. :-)

Dr. J said...

Multi, E, chromium, C, selenium, alpha-lipoic acid, low dose ASA, melatonin. Not each every day, but over three days some of each.

In my opinion, chondroiton is not a good idea. Glucosamine is OK.

Brightcetera said...

My endocrinologist/oncologist told me not to bother with any except 2000IU of Vitamin D.
So that's what I'm doing.

Lee said...

Jody - Ever since I began taking the CoQ10, my energy has increased. Not only do I ride longer, I don't need to take breaks anymore. Glad you liked the little video. It made me laugh too. Must be a scorpio thing.

Patty - I'm trying to break out of being type cast as an evil buzz kill. Low fat feta is OK. ;)

Dr. J - "chondroiton is not a good idea" why? please tell me as this nagging question is interfering w/my sleep.

Karen - If I could only take one, I would choose the Almighty D. I take 2000IU now too.

Greta from www.bigbottomblogger.blogspot.com said...

D3 is SO important!! It is actually not even a vitamin, it is a hormone..and an essential one. A HUGE percentage of people are deficient. I had to convince my doc to do a D blood test on me (she did not see the point)..and my levels were LOW. Like.....17 ng/ml! Eeeeep!! She told me to take 400 IUs a day, but I had read that it was safer to take a much higher dose. I took 5000-10,000 IUs a day for three months...and when I was retested, my level had only gone up to 37. (50+ is ideal). The list of issues related to vitamin D deficiency is VERY long and VERY scary.....including mood, immune system, cancer risk, autoimmune risk.....and on and on. I am still supplementing daily, and plan to get retested at the end of the summer. Definitely get your D levels checked next time you go to the doc.

Lee said...

Greta - couldn't agree more w/you. When I was first tested, my level was very low: 14. I was just retested and I'm up to 42. Everyone should get this checked out.