Hanlie, from one of everyone's favorite blogs Fertile Healthy, has surprised me (in a good way) with the Honest Scrap Award. Thank you, Hanlie. Very kind of you!Now, with this award comes the responsibility of sharing ten things that may not be known about the recipient. This is a bit of a challenge for a mysterious Scorpio. But, it also happens that I like a challenge.
So here goes:
1. Went to the same high school as Frank Zappa. Not at the same time since he was much older. (If you don't know who Frank Zappa is, you might recall his hit song "Valley Girl.")
2. Opened a book store on Main Street without any experience whatsoever in retail. It was a lot of work to get it off the ground. Did all right and managed to sell my business during the recession. Found out that I personally dislike retail but now have a great deal of respect for the contributions Main Street businesses make to the community and an understanding of the difficulties small retailers are facing in this economy.
3. Had my own radio show while an undergrad at UC Santa Barbara. It was crazy fun (what isn't compared to writing papers for sociology classes) especially when my friends were with me & I'd realize I'd left the mike on.
4. My first marriage was to my cat, Socky (a black & white tuxedo cat) when I was six years old. My second marriage to the smartest, cutest & kindest guy in town will reach the 30 year mark this April.
5. I like finding things in library books. Just found a coupon for 10% off a Fat Burger in the book I'm currently reading (The Women by T. C. Boyle). Not that I find a "Fat Burger" appealing regardless of the discount, I just like to see the weird things people leave behind in books. I wish using twenty dollar bills as bookmarks would become popular. Of course, not too many of those kinds of bookmarks would go unnoticed by librarians & volunteers.
6. Growing up, I loved to climb trees (maybe this is why I feel so betrayed & outraged by homicidal trees). My next door neighbor, Mrs. Bones (really, that was her name & she was mean) didn't like me sitting in the tree next to her front yard and used to lure me down with chocolate bars. This didn't last because I'd climb down to get the candy & go back up in the tree to enjoy eating it.
7. One of my goals is to visit every national park.
8. I hate cell phones.
9. Won a contest to see Rickie Lee Jones in concert & to meet her back stage. She was amazing. Love her.
10. My life was impacted by cancer at a young age. When I was 18, my younger sister (my Irish twin, as we were only 13 months apart in age) was diagnosed with leukemia. She died about 11 months after diagnosis. It is my greatest hope that a cure for all types of cancer is in our future.
I'm passing this award to POD at Thufferin Thuccotash. Dare you to find someone more honest (& funny) in their blogging.
~♥~
7 comments:
That was interesting! How awful to lose a sister at such a young age... I hadn't heard the term "Irish twins" before, but it made me smile.
Does that mean I have (get to) come up with 10 things too? Thanks for the award/acknowledgement. Do I still the graphic from you and put my thinking cap back on?
I hung it up near the front door. Too warm to wear it today.
Thanks again. The acknowledgement from such a wise reader means a lot.
POD - Yep, git yer thinkin cap on girly & go to it. Can't wait to read your ten things.
Hanlie - my ability to use unknown terms & phrases, sad to say, comes from being old like MizFit.
What a list! I'm so sorry to hear about losing your sister. What a terrible thing to happen.
I love book stores and what a businesswoman you must be to have sold it during the recession. I agree with you about retail - it's awful.
Maybe I'll have them by tomorrow. I had forgotten!
I'll go work on it at home.
I was ponderin them 10 thangs.
One of my dreams has always been to own a bookstore!
Gigi - I'm going to Boston at the end of Oct. Any bookstores I should check out? Thanks for the compliment.
Cammy - Usually I'm 100 percent in favor of following one's dreams but in this case not so much. It's better to visit & enjoy bookstores than it is to own one, especially in these times. I am grateful though, that I got the chance to explore this dream.
Post a Comment